body{background-attachment: fixed ! important; }

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Taichung Indy Bike Store: Sam Bike

Sam Bike CLOSED (Another one bites the dust)
Manager: Sam Huang
No. 611 Mei-tsuen Rd. Sec.1
Taichung, Taiwan
Tel: 04-2375-3905
Cell: 0937-218-055
email: sam23753905@gmail.com


I have been bast this little shop a number of times, but never found a reason to stop. I finally figured I should take a look if I am going to keep working on my Indy-shop catalogue, and I am glad I did.

Sam Bike is an unforgettable name in its quirkiness to the English ear and they really don't have much stock on display. They could easily be dismissed as by a passer-by as a fly by night bike store that was built to make a quick buck on the growing trend toward road bikes.

It is not.

When I stopped in I asked Sam, the owner, what kinds of bikes he sold as I could see a small assortment of bikes lined up on the sales floor. He replied, "I'll get you anything you want. I sell all kinds and I can get all kinds."

Hmmmm... that left me searching for more conversation.

I then asked what made his shop different among the other shops in the area and I was surprised by his reply.

Sam told me that it was all about the proper fit. His philosophy, which I can totally agree with, is that when a customer comes in looking for a bike, he will spend up to two hours doing a fitting to then find the right frame and components for the rider. He also will make adjustments to a rider's current bike to achieve better performance or resolve issues with pain or discomfort.

If you are looking for a bike that will fit or need to solve a pain problem, have a discussion with Sam.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew,
    I'm a big fan of your blog which I discovered about 3 months ago.

    I also suffer from IT band/Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome which has flared up twice quite bad in the last few years. I've had physical therapy which has really helped and am really putting in the time to educate myself on treatment and prevention as cycling is a big part of my life as well. I understand that feeling of not being able to ride for weeks at a time and really hating it. I look forward to more of your writings about your knee rehabilitation and so on.

    Your blog is very informative and is a valuable resource. I've checked out a number of shops you've reviewed and they've really expanded my bike part hunting options.

    Thanks, Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words.

    At the moment it feels like shin splits. I am chasing the "pull" all over the leg. I will even feel a tug in my hip. Stretching seems to work best. It will take a little time to get back up to speed. I haven't done a cardio workout in two months. Hopefully the leg will heal up about the same time the weather mellows out and then I can ease myself into training.

    Having two great bikes sitting here under used is just as painful.

    Keep visiting these little shops. They offer a lot to the community.

    Cheers!

    A

    ReplyDelete