body{background-attachment: fixed ! important; }

Monday, March 22, 2010

Quote of the Day: Frame Materials

Quote of the Day:

On Frame Materials:

"I have at least one of each, except Ti. My carbon bike is awesome. So is my 1970s steel bike. So is my aluminum road bike. I'm not any faster on one than I am the other.

Cyclists are lemmings. If the pros started riding wooden bikes, there'd be 5000 morons on RBR (and Bicycling Magazine would join in) talking about how remarkable wood bikes are....laterally stiff, yet vertically compliant!...and how all you need to go faster longer is a $10,000 wooden bike. And the morons would run out and buy them."
--PlatyPius

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about the 'moron' part, but I lean this way, also. Yes, each frame material "feels" different, but is it better or worse?

    I'll bet that if one took any frame (from any era) with equivalent geometry and put identical modern components on them, then noone would honestly claim that one bike is faster than another. I mean, how much weight and feel difference would result? Minor.

    Of course that's why central coast west-facing pinot of the right terroir can command $100 more than abottle from eastern washington. Gotta spend your money, somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheels, wheels, wheels!!! So much is in the wheels and a proper fit.

    ReplyDelete